Sunday, June 11, 2017

New June

Several years ago I made a New Year's resolution to not make any more New Year's Resolutions. It's the best resolution that I've ever made. The reason why is because I didn't want to feel obligated to make resolutions just because of an arbitrary holiday. Don't get me wrong, I love the fact the at least once a year, we collectively push ourselves and each other to be better. I was just tired of being asked what my resolutions were, when throughout the year I make goals already.

So here we are in June, and I'm working on a couple of things already, the main thing being training for a half marathon. I do have a new resolution (a "New June's" resolution?) to write twice a week; once to update my blog, and once to work on my creative writing. I realized that I haven't updated my blog about my weight loss journey in a long time- since January!! Yikes. This is the cycle that I go through- something big happens, and I write all about it for a while, and then I get overwhelmed with keeping up with it, so I stop for months at a time. So I decided that once a week, as far as the blog goes, I'll just write whatever dumb thing comes to mind and not worry too much about perfection. Then hopefully I won't get overwhelmed.

A while back when I was in a human development class, I remember learning that in my age group, people are deciding what kind of contribution they want to make to the world. Most children, teenagers, and young adults spend so much time taking, needing, and absorbing what the world has to offer, and once people get to my age, there comes a time when they have to choose: do I keep taking, or do I contribute? When I go to libraries and bookstores, there's always an incredible feeling of KNOWLEDGE and EXPERIENCE. It's like I feel smarter just by walking inside. Don't you think that's amazing? Hundreds of years of knowledge packed into a book? A lifetime of thoughts, sadness, laughter, and anger on a few pages? Hundreds of thousands of minutes and hours pondering of how life really is or what it could be? Dreaming of new worlds? I do.

Obviously not every book impacts everybody, or is necessarily even worth reading (I'm looking at you, Twilight). I think that the stories and books could be just as important or life-changing to the writer as they are for the reader. JK Rowling was once asked where she'd be without her writing; her response was, "depressed." Hopefully writing the blog more faithfully will help me figure out how to live this crazy life, and the creative writing will be a fun outlet and a healthy habit to develop on top of all the running that I'm doing.

Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment